What do other people think? Our testimonials
Here at Suburban Turban we have been reticent to publish testimonials, believing email conversations we have with our clients to be just that, confidential conversations. However a few wonderful women (and Mike!) have kindly agreed to us publishing their thoughts. So in the true spirit of Yves St Laurent who said, ‘fashion is not only supposed to make women beautiful, but to reassure them, to give them confidence, to allow them to come to terms with themselves…’ ...please read on.
'I just wanted to let you know I have now received my hats and they are fab! I still have a certain amount of hair despite my chemotherapy treatment, but with the advent of autumn weather need hats to keep warm as much as anything. I find both hats to be stylish, comfortable and flattering: I don't in the least feel like a patient wearing these! - EJ - Greater London
'I am in my fifties and have had scalp problems for about 20 years, resulting in patchy hair loss. After many appointments with consultants and two biopsies, the latest diagnosis is lichen planopilaris. This causes soreness and itching – one reason why I have always been reluctant to wear a wig. My latest consultant has actually advised me against a wig option, saying that I still have too much hair left and the scalp lesions can be very uncomfortable. I used to hide the condition under hats and scarves, but nothing seemed flattering or practical, until one consultant suggested Suburban Turban and gave me a leaflet...I was absolutely delighted with my first purchase, ‘Claude,’ and soon added to my now quite extensive collection! All the hats and turbans are very comfortable, they don’t feel itchy at all, they fit beautifully and I get a lot of compliments! Claude is a definite favourite of mine, and I also love Marrakech Blues and Tamzin for Summer, Ava for evenings out and Selina for indoor events in Winter... Thank you so much for helping restore my confidence and self esteem. My scalp condition is a part of me, I accept it now and realise I can still dress attractively, mainly because of Suburban Turban. - JW - Somerset'Have just returned from our Spanish holiday and just wanted to let you know what a star performer your Genevieve cap was. I am not a cancer sufferer but the friends we were going to stay with in Spain have an open top car and I needed a hat to prevent me looking a fright every time we went out in the car. To make the solution more pressing, we were driving to Seville for a few days - a 2+ hour drive each way. And I would be sitting in the back of the car - always much more blowy. The Genevieve was perfect. Plenty of room in the crown so didn't completely flatten my hair. Covered the whole head, just leaving a little fringe showing. Perfect. And stayed on without even a hint of a wobble despite lots of motorway travel. Now back in England I will be wearing it for walks on damp days (my hair goes frizzy at the first sign of damp). And I much appreciated the good sizing. I have a stupidly big head (!) and as almost all shops only do hats in one size, nothing fits. Your hat - my hat - is perfect! Many, many thanks.' - RB - Surrey
‘I have to say that I love the first hats I received and wear them all the time; much more than my wig. I'm just 30 and being diagnosed with cancer at that age is not the best experience ever. My 4 year old son always tell me I'm pretty with your hats. My 6 month old baby would just grab it all the time!... and all my friends have complimented me on them. They feel very comfortable. People who do not know me, don't even think I have hair loss! Keep going. - CVLC - Scotland
‘Once again I thank you for your speedy service and for the absolutely fab hats. It looks like my hair isn't going to grow back and I was getting that I wanted a change from my current hats, lovely as they are, so treated myself to these two new ones. I love them, the colours are perfect and design gives a bit of shape to my head. THANK YOU! I have had people compliment me on both the turbans and hats, including people with hair who love them. My daughter put one on and looked beautiful in it. It's the fact they are modern and funky.' - AL - Oxon'I wanted to write and let you know that I absolutely adore all three turbans I ordered!! I receive so many compliments on them wherever I go. I love that I don't have to sacrifice style just because I have cancer. Also, they are the most comfortable turbans I own. Some of the others I have press against my ears and cause pain by the end of the day. Yours do not! Thank you so much for making such a beautiful product.' - AP - USA
‘There are no words to express how grateful I am to you for the stunning hats , the incredible delivery service, the amazing packaging and hand written note. My sister was over the moon with the hats...She cried non-stop (happy, happy tears!!!) for an hour on Skype, showing me the wonderful hats!!! Everyone at the wedding thought they were gorgeous and you were thanked in the speeches for turning around a distraught young bride and making her day...year...wedding!!! Thank you very much for helping me to help my sister from afar! I cannot tell you how grateful I am…She wore the 'cafe au lait' to the wedding and the 'mulberry' one to the dinner! Thank you, thank you!’ - Bride's sister - Costa Rica
‘Many thanks for the lovely 'Suzie' in pale blue, which arrived on Saturday and promptly went off to a party! I am absolutely thrilled with her and got so many compliments - such a boost at the moment when my own hair underneath resembles a clapped out loo brush! The hat is such a hit that I wonder if I could persuade you to make me another one - this time in the Kimmy pale cream fabric?....Hello again - just to say my cream 'Suzie' arrived and just like its blue counterpart it's delightful and makes me feel fabulous. So glad I found you and your lovely company.' - DW - E. Sussex
‘I have just received my 'Bella' hat and 'Kiss it Better' cream from you - unexpectedly quickly! Having been slightly worried about ordering a hat without trying it, I just had to mail you to say I am REALLY pleased with my purchase. At a time (i.e. during chemo) when it becomes so much more important to feel you are looking as good as possible, it is so lovely to put on a hat and feel instantly happy. So thank you so much for your wonderful and very efficient service!’ – SD – W. Sussex
‘..how absolutely thrilled I am with your hats. I have 2 and am very excited about getting more soon. At the moment I am undergoing chemotherapy and have lost most of my hair. As soon as the hair was gone and I accepted that I needed to do something about it, I moved forward to find some funky head wear. I was put onto your site by a nurse practitioner at Southampton hospital and immediately found things I loved. Your headwear has made it immeasurably easier and actually a bit fun having no hair. I have had so many compliments about the hats and wear them with pride. My daughter who is 9 also likes to wear them. Thank you for your skill and the wonderful creativity with which you create these great looks. Your hats are more than just headwear - for me they have been real food for my soul and helped to strengthen my dignity and sense of well being.’ SL – Hampshire
‘Just thought I'd let you know how popular the Bea hats are. Even my cousin [who is fit and well and has hair] is interested in one. Now that chemo has finished I am currently undergoing radiotherapy treatment and have handed out your little cards [the ones that come with the hats] to various people who have complimented me on my headwear. Otherwise I write down the website address for them. It really does help so much to feel good about how I look when I leave the house. Thanks very much for making such a difference’. D – Bedfordshire
‘I would just like to let you know that I received my order today and that I am very pleased with the two hats (Carrie and Jeannie) that I ordered. I heard about your site from a girl I was sitting next to in a chemotherapy session a couple of months ago but didn't order anything at the time, as I had only just ordered some pre-shaped bandanas from another site. However I wasn't particularly pleased with them as I felt they made me look like something from the French Foreign Legion! I really wish I hadn't persevered for so long with them, as my hats look so much better. I actually feel quite feminine again! I was a bit unsure about the detail on the Carrie hat but now I have tried it on I love it…’
A – Worcestershire
Kiss It Better Soothing Cream - Calendula and Roman Chamomile - 'It's lovely - I use it every day. Very light, not greasy, and lovely smell... I can't tolerate many smells at the moment but this one's good!' - C - Wiltshire
‘I wanted to let you know how delighted I am with my recent purchases from you. I am receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer and have shaved my head, so was in need of a confidence booster. Your hats have provided this - I went to work yesterday 'sans wig' for the first time wearing Kimmy 2 and got lots of compliments (and a little bit of ribbing too, as some people thought I should be on a yacht, rather than in an office, so sophisticated did I look). My husband remarked that he thought I might take to wearing hats, even after my hair comes back, and I think he is right. The very obvious advantage to your products is that you can get three hats for the price of one wig and, therefore, ring the changes with your appearance. Thank you so much.’ – L - Shropshire
'… being a sufferer of sun damage on an already completely bald head I have found the sleep cap for night time wear ideal…due to treatment taking effect any friction from my head touching the pillow was very painful. Wearing the sleep cap which is made of a soft fabric has alleviated this uncomfortable problem, I can sleep undisturbed. The sleep cap is also versatile enough to wear underneath one of my many other hats, a Panama, a Tilley hat and plenty of flat caps. These hats no longer rub my scalp - problem solved! The jersey baseball cap is also amazing as it is so versatile for wearing during the day, and I can wear it with confidence knowing my head is protected from the sun and it looks quite sporty. Having the confidence to go out without people staring is wonderful (I felt as though I had to explain my skin problem all the time). Keep up the good work and cater for the men!!' Mike - Cheshire
'I'm not sure how well travelled your hats tend to be, but my Diva has just returned from a night at the opera watching 'Il Trovatore’ at the Royal Opera House in Muscat, Oman! She was very comfortable to wear, and attracted lots of compliments. Many thanks for your excellent service, website and of course headwear. ' J - Staffs
‘I have found your headwear to be unbeatable for style and comfort and am particularly pleased with my latest purchase (Beatrix), since I have had an invitation to a formal dinner and I think it will look very elegant with my black trouser suit …. I will have no hesitation about recommending your website to anyone else in my position - having lost a thick head of hair over the course of one weekend, following the first course of chemotherapy and with a scalp too tender to tolerate my wig. Many thanks too for your prompt service.’ A - Scotland
‘I love the hat hair that I purchased, having lost my hair due to chemotherapy my confidence is pretty low and I didn't feel comfortable going out with my wig. The fringe with side 'bits' is perfect for me as I have it in my usual winter beanie...the dark blonde colour is great too. Really easy to sew, just as you said. I found your website while scouring the internet looking for something more than a velcro fringe that was available at the wig shop I attended. I am currently viewing your hats as I have found many of my usual winter woolies are now far too big since my hair loss.' J – Lancs
Bliss - So Soothing Lotion Stick - 'This has become an essential item in our house! The soothing properties of the stick have been used for dry skin on my daughter's face without causing any sort of allergic reaction. I now use it on a regular basis on my heels, as it contains beeswax, I find it is something of a miracle cure for really dry, cracked skin. Because the stick contains only natural ingredients neither my daughter or I - both of us having very sensitive skin - have suffered any adverse reaction whatsoever. I can certainly recommend it to anyone who has sensitive skin.'
Y & J - Northamptonshire
'My sister phoned me today after receiving my order from Suburban Turban, my gift to her because she is a cancer patient preparing herself for hair loss. She was absolutely delighted at the presentation of the package, the message I'd written, and especially the headwear. She loved the colours, styles and the softness of the fabrics. I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am that she is happy with her gift.' C – Surrey
‘Just wanted to let you know how pleased I am with my Bea hats, that you made for me in black and black/ivory. I now have the full collection of colour options and have a hat that goes with every outfit. Really pleased the black/ivory Bea is now on the website, I love it and have received so many compliments when I wear it. Thank you so much for making hair loss easier to cope with.’ C – Essex
‘Today at 11am while my mobile hair dresser was removing the last of my hair, with clippers in our kitchen, the postman knocked on the door with my parcel of hats and scarf. It could not have arrived at a more appropriate moment. I have worn each of them in turn they all feel lovely, light and soft. Thank you.’
A – E. Yorks
‘I have just ordered some more turbans. I just love Gemma in pink and now I will have one in griege, what a brilliant colour name! I spoke to Nicky on the phone and told her how many compliments I have had wearing my Suburban Turbans. I have been on this journey for 4 years now and when I started I wore a wig, which was fine but hot in the summer. Back then there was an awful selection of head wear available - then I discovered your website! and have been really thrilled by your stylish and trendy hats. Thank you so much for using your talents to create headwear for people who are feeling less than attractive during chemo, there is something for everyone. I am spreading the word….’ S – North Yorks
'Just wanted to say how delighted I am with the hair fringe and how easy it is to interchange between my 3 hats. Having the fringe styled was simple and the fringe looks so natural – so many of my friends have commented on this. An added bonus is that I’ve got a small head and the fringe band really helps keep the hat in place. Many thanks for a great product that really helps with coping with hair loss.'
T - Wiltshire
'Just wanted to say how much I love the Ruby beret. It is so comfortable and light, but cosy. I added a small brooch to the front and think it looks good. I've not really felt happy wearing a wig, and find hats and scarves much better. Also delighted with your delivery times despite weather and holidays. Thanks.'
J - Scotland
‘…My Bea Beautiful hat arrived yesterday, and I really love it! It fits perfectly and is very comfortable. It arrived in time for me to wear it to a work social thing yesterday and it got plenty of compliments, … I'm having chemo and still have some hair left but it's very thin and wispy, and not comfortable when it's cold and windy, so it's just nice to tie it back, pull on the hat and off I go! I've never been a "hat" person before - and I'm only 34 so not really from a generation that wears them much, and I really couldn't imagine having the confidence to wear one until Bea arrived. So thank you very very much!...’
H – Bristol
‘It's quite a long time since we met at the Mary Wallace Centre in Cambridge ….when I bought 3 of your lovely hats. I just wanted to say that they have all been brilliant! I've nearly finished the chemo now - the hats have really made a difference to the way I coped with my hair loss - they have been so comfortable and I've had so many comments from strangers especially when I've been in hospital for treatment. I passed on your cards so I hope some of the people round here have contacted you as a result. Your understanding and kindness really helped me through a tricky time. I intend to get rid of everything connected to the chemo - all the cards + clothes that may remind me of this time but I will keep my hats - they are too good to give away!’
K - Cambridge
‘This time last year I'd just had all my hair shaved off, as it had started dropping out thanks to chemotherapy… I’ve been through plenty of highs and lows…Just wanted you to know that the sleep hat, I bought from you, was definitely one of the ‘highs’. I've worn it and worn it - sleep hat, yoga hat, running hat, keep-my-head-warm hat... it was a brilliant buy and I've recommended it to everyone who'll listen! Thank you.'
...the hat is just what I wanted, for …an event in August. You with your turbans have made the horror of hair loss due to chemotherapy easier to bear. I read about you in The Times Saturday Supplement and contacted you immediately. Now, I am thought of as 'the woman who wears the fantastic headgear' rather than the poor soul who has cancer. Thank you so much.'
J - Berks
'I just wanted to let you know how fantastic I think the Chloe hat is. It's so comfortable and warm for the winter. All your hats are really comfy on the head. It makes such a difference - I have a few bandanas (cotton and silk) and a regular baker boy hat from ….. all of which make my head ache or become irritating after a few hours. I never find this with yours. So, thank you.'
L – London
- '...the hat arrived in plenty of time and it was superb. Fitted beautifully and looked fabulous - I really loved the extra bit of pazzazz you added - it really was a bit of va va voom! The actual day itself was great (Queen's Garden Party Edinburgh). Super sunshine even though thundery showers had been predicted (surprise, surprise for a garden party in Edinburgh - not!)... It was just a lovely day and I would like to thank you very much for the contribution the hat made - I could not think of anything better to have worn that made me feel both glamorous and comfortable, so thank you so much once again for your help.'
G - Scotland
- 'I have had so many, many compliments since wearing your turbans. My chemo centre wanted information on you so I am going to give them the leaflet that came with the order. However, I wondered if you had a stock of pamphlets that could be displayed in the information centre. I would be really grateful. Your turbans have made life without hair bearable, thank you...'
S - Denbighshire
- ‘Yesterday afternoon I went out for the first time to a meeting in Islington (trendy place, trendy people), wearing my new ‘biscuit’ hat. When I approached the receptionist at the venue, she said, and I quote, all in one breath, 'You're all meeting together on the first floor, then you have the second floor for your actual meeting and I love your hat.' This was followed by two further very positive and spontaneous – ‘Great hat’, and ‘What a lovely hat!’ - comments ...'
G – London
- 'They are all absolutely great and I am delighted with them all. I wore the ‘Pella’ …last night and it was very cosy and comforting, and the ‘Carla’ when I went for treatment this morning. They boost the confidence no end. I’ll definitely be recommending your site to anyone else in my situation. Many thanks for your help and excellent service.'
A - Cambridge
- 'Thanks a lot for the refund. The scarves are great and I love your witty website - it's almost worth the boiled egg state.'
J - Wales
- 'I really love Carla and have had sooooooo many compliments about the design from people with and without hair! Perhaps I'm deluded, but when I'm out and about I don't feel conscious of people immediately knowing that I have cancer because I don't have the traditional bandana or scarf look that screams "Chemo". So wearing your hats has made it easier to adjust to losing my hair and given me the confidence to maintain some normality in my life… I am very grateful to you for that….I was swamped in the chemo unit a couple of weeks ago and one woman who had gorgeous long hair … said that she felt reassured that women could look glamorous without their hair. I look forward to trying some more designs out in the future.'
J - London
- 'Great products and a great service. Your hats are great, one of the few highlights of losing my hair!! The scarves are also fab and easy to tie with minimal training. I will be back for more. Thanks.'
- 'I just used your tying guide with the black scarf. The instructions are so simple and straightforward I even impressed myself. I got it right first time. Once again, many thanks for your speedy service and such a great product. I wish I had heard about you sooner, I've been hairless since January and existing on baseball caps. I shall certainly recommend Suburban Turban to my friends and the London Oncology Clinic...'
N – London
- 'Thanks Nicky for your prompt response and pleasant on line style! Looking forward to trying on my purchases and will send you back some feedback - have already given your web address to my local G.P. nurse. Your site is the first U.K. based site that has looked both stylish and nice to look at. The site is easy to manoeuvre through and has loads of different looks for Buddha Babes like me! My look is chemo induced but I'm up for the challenge and hope Suburban Turban can be one of my "weapons"!'
K - Scotland
- 'Have now written your address on ‘post-its’ to give out at clinics. When I next go I will be more prepared.......just hope not too many people get them they may all look like me! Thanks for your help, still not sure about caps. I am young but really like the styles I have as my face has small features….I think for me it is the comfort aspect as well as the look of the hats. They are just so easy to wear! Now I buy clothes to match the hats…..Funny I have no friends in the same position just people seem to stop me and ask me…cancer is not going to be a form of identity for me just short time in my life! Your hats for me have made life easier. so am happy to tell people about it.'
J - Herts
- 'I was far from disappointed!! Ok I still had hair on Monday when my (much anticipated) parcel arrived, but it started falling out Tuesday morning, and by the afternoon I could run my fingers through my hair - only the hair stayed with my fingers!!! …Then …tackled the turbans. It really is a lot easier doing it on oneself… The night cap (Pella) is soo soft, it is a delight to wear at night. I found it a great alternative, a better alternative, than the much washed bandana - no knot to be uncomfortable at the nape of the neck, nor to wear rotated so it’s obviously sideways…I had to answer the doorbell around 08.00, so a quick swap for the ready made turban, and again, it's so surprisingly soft! No monofilament spiky threads and stitches….The scarves. What can I say but a big thank you.'
J - Scotland
R - Norway